In honor of Valentine's Day I thought I would post the Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe that I turn to when I need a quick, easy dessert. It is rich and decadent, and can be dressed to impress. In the photo I've accompanied it with a raspberry sauce and whipped cream, but in the past I've dressed it up a few different ways: 1) with fresh fruit and a white chocolate sauce, 2) added orange zest to the batter and served with Grand Marnier whipped cream, and 3) added a teaspoon of instant espresso and served it with coffee ice cream. The possibilities are endless. I would highly recommend using good quality chocolate as it is the star of the show.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
4 oz bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan (if using individual ramekins, reduce baking time by 5-8 minutes.)
Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.
No comments:
Post a Comment